Public Papers - 1992 - May
Appointment of John C. Harper as Chairman of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
The President has announced his intention to appoint the Reverend John C. Harper to be Chairman of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. He would succeed John F. W. Rogers.
Since 1963, Dr. Harper has served as rector of St. John's Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square, Washington, DC. He currently serves on the Decatur House Council, previously served on the Woodrow Wilson House Council, and is an ex officio member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. He has also been active in the ongoing restoration of St. John's Church and its parish house, Ashburton House, both of which are listed on the National Historic Register.
Born in Winthrop, MA, Dr. Harper graduated from Harvard University (A.B., 1946), Episcopal Theological School (B.D., 1953), George Washington University (D.D., 1966), and Nashotah House (D.C.L., 1983). He is married, has three children, and lives in Washington, DC.