Scope and Content Note
The Office of Speechwriting Collection consists of 12 series. The first series is the Speech Files, Drafts. Drafts of presidential speeches, video and audio messages and magazine articles appearing under the President's byline were submitted by the speech writers to appropriate members of the White House Staff as well as concerned government agencies. The drafts were reviewed and very often were returned with corrections, comments, additions and deletions. This series contains drafts of major addresses to the nation, speeches to business, political and civic organizations and brief remarks for public ceremonies and state occasions.
The second and third series are closely related. The second series (Speech Files, Backup, Chron File) contains research material assembled by the White House speech writing and research staff to provide factual material for presidential speeches. Material within this series includes speech drafts, newspaper clippings, audio-visual material, publications, press releases, correspondence, schedules, government reports, and other research materials. Similar materials are found in the third series (Speech Files, Backup, Alpha File). The Speech Files, Drafts and the Speech Files, Backup, Chron File were originally maintained by Administrative Officer Drucie Scaling. These two main files consist of materials gathered from White House speech writers and filed by Scaling in chronological order.
The fourth through ninth series consists of staff files. The staff members are Carol Aarhus, Mark Davis, Mary Kate Grant, Dan McGroarty, Curt Smith, and Tony Snow. Each staff series includes speech drafts and research material for each individual staff member's speech assignments.
The remaining three series in this collection are comprised of personnel files, administrative files, and resumes. These files were maintained in the Office of Speechwriting and the Office of Research.
- Series: Speech Files, Drafts, 1989-1993, Boxes 1-177
- Series: Speech Files, Backup, Chron File, 1989-1993, Boxes 1-188
- Series: Speech Files, Backup, Alpha File, 1987-1991, Boxes 1-5
- Series: Carol Aarhus, Alpha File, 1990-1992, Boxes 1-8
- Series: Mark Davis, Subject File, 1989-1991, Boxes 1-8
- Series: Mary Kate Grant, Subject File, 1988-1991, Boxes 1-8
- Series: Dan McGroarty, Subject File, 1988-1993, Box 1
- Series: Curt Smith, Chron File, 1989-1992, Boxes 1-3
- Series: Tony Snow, Subject File, 1988-1993, Boxes 1-9
Series: Personnel Files, Alpha File, 1989-1993, Boxes 1-3 (Closed in Full)
- Subseries: Former Staff, Box 1
- Subseries: Current Staff, Boxes 1-2
- Subseries: Volunteers, Boxes 2-3
- Subseries: Staff Salary Notebooks, Box 3
- Series: Administrative Files, Subject File, 1989-1993, Boxes 1-3
- Series: Resumes, Alpha File, 1989-1992, Boxes 1-7 (Closed in Full)