Trains: Tracks of the Iron Horse - Exhibit Highlights
2005-11-07 to 2006-07-31
Outside the Library
- Union Pacific class CA-13 caboose 24525 on loan from the Texas State Railroad.
- Seven operational signals originally built by Union Switch & Signal Company during the 1930s and 1940s. Shortly after their construction, they were installed on Southern Pacific's Houston-Dallas main line in College Station and Bryan and served until retired during mid-2005. Each target (head) displays three color aspects (red, green, and yellow). In a few cases, the lower target has the green aspect replaced with a white (lunar) aspect. These signals were formerly located at CPQ 073 (University Drive and Wellborn Road in College Station) and CPQ 075 (Villa Maria and Wellborn Road in Bryan). Signals change aspects on three minute intervals.
- Video monitors featuring an introduction to railroads and what they do.
- History of railroading in Bryan and College Station.
- Classic travel posters from the golden era of railroads.
- Seven time lines illustrating railroad mergers from 1945-2005.
- Live video feed from rail cams located in College Station.
- Text, photos and commodity samples from various freight cars.
- Operational 'N' scale model railroad layout that allows children to go inside.
- Railroad computer simulators available for guests to try their hand at running trains.
- Information, photos, and artifacts from the Harvey House at Somerville, Texas.
- Samples of railroad china including three full place settings.
- Watches and clocks provide by the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.
- Discussion of presidential train travel during the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries.
- Mockup of Union on Pacific business car Lone Star normally assigned to the railroad's president and CEO. Visitors are encouraged to take pictures of family and friends on the rear platform.
- A time line of railroad history. Above the time line are photos and three dimensional objects highlighting various aspects of railroading.
- A celebration of model railroading featuring more than 550 N, HO, and O scale models provided by Overland Models, Inc. All Overland Models are handcrafted brass and are hand painted and in some cases custom weathered by expert modelers.
- Samples from Frank Sinatra's Lionel model train collection. Also included is a model train given for former President Bush and an O scale model of the Magellan, the presidential private car.
Rotunda and Outside Ansary Gallery
- Located outside the Ansary Gallery is a General Electric Evolution Series locomotive cab. The cab is constructed of wood and is an authentic replica of a real locomotive cab. Visitors are encouraged to enter the cab and sit in the engineers seat.
- Handcrafted 1 1/2" scale, 7 1/2" gauge trains on loan from the Houston Area Live Steamers.
- Model railroads (see separate schedule page for details).