Bush Library and Museum Storytellers Guild
Storytelling is a powerful means of discovering and describing who we are as a people and as individuals. Stories told dramatically about American and Texas history bring past events alive and are beneficial learning experiences for all ages. The Bush Library and Museum Storytellers Guild offers FREE presentations at the museum or as outreach programs to area schools on a wide variety of topics such as:
- Colonial Stories
- Classical Literature: Beatrix Potter's stories
- World War II (Pacific Theater; Berlin Wall)
- Original poetry for all ages and poetry writing techniques
- At the museum or at your school: Custom-designed storytelling programs to meet the needs of your students - tell us what you would like!
Unless otherwise specified, programs are at the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center, 1002 George Bush Dr. W. College Station, with two FREE presentations from 10:30-11:30 a.m. and noon to 1 p.m.
Upcoming Storytelling Programs
- [05-01-2014] Education Program: "Adventures of Peter Rabbit and Friends"
- [05-01-2014] Education Program: "Musical Storytelling, Growing Up to Become President Bush: Character Counts!"
- [05-15-2014] Education Program: "El Vaquero, Cowboy of America West" by Angel Vigil
For a downloadable copy of the calendar, click here.
To make a reservation email Bush.Education@nara.gov or call (979) 691-4006. For more information about these events or joining the Storytellers Guild contact Dr. Shirley Hammond, Director of Education at (979) 691-4013.
The partnership of the Bush Library with the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference and Big Thought gives students (9th grade - college sophomore) an opportunity to enter the Young Spurs History Writing Contest. Winners of this national non-fiction essay contest will be published in The Dallas Morning News. For more national essay contest details, please visit:
Please view Seeing Texas History Through Its Larger Than Life Characters by Bryan Burrough.
http://www.connect2texas.net/bushlibrary41/ (free registration)